You can buy fewer colors of paint when you mix paint colors. Color mixing will be second nature for you. Painting will become a fun adventure.
As an affiliate, I earn from Amazon sales with no extra cost to you. Learn More
Color is the joy and excitement of painting!
When light hits an object, some light rays bounce off. The remaining rays are absorbed by the object.
So, a green object bounces green light and absorbs all the other colors.
When light passes thru a prism it is divided into seven colors.
They are the seven colors of a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and purple.
The primary colors, yellow, blue and red are equally spaced around the color wheel.
All the other colors are a combination of the primaries.
We can mix the other colors from the three primaries.
Then we can save money at the paint store because we know how to mix paint colors.
* Tip - Single pigment paint mixtures produce clean colors. Look the ingredients on your paint tubes.
Two primary colors mixed together will give you a secondary color.
The secondary colors are orange, green and violet.
It's fun and you will be surprised how easy it is.
Don't mix paint colors thoroughly before you put them on your painting. The variety will add more interest to your paintings.
* Tip - You will save paint when you mix paint colors with a palette knife.
However, adding white to a color will give it a chalky appearance.
* Tip - Lighten a color by adding the lighter color next to it on the color wheel. The colors will remain bright and lively without a chalky appearance. For example, to lighten orange, add yellow.
There two ways to mix your dark colors.
* Tip - When you are starting a painting, mix a large pile of a dark color from the colors you have selected for the painting. When you are painting you may add white to your dark for various shades of grey. You may also use the dark or greys to subdue colors in your painting.
This will keep color harmony in your painting. Plus you won't have to keep mixing your greys and darks again throughout the painting process.
The compliment of any primary color is always a secondary color that is a combination of two primaries.
So when we mix a primary with its compliment, we are actually mixing the three primary colors together.
Example - Green is a combination of blue and yellow, so mixing red and green combines the three primary colors.
* Tip - When you want darks, mix paint colors from the colors you are using in the painting. This way the dark colors will harmonize with the rest of the painting.
Additional Viridian or Alizarin will slant the black toward green or red.
Add more Ultramarine to make a cool black. Use more Burnt Sienna for a warm brown.
You can get a large variety of greys depending on what colors made the dark. So, don’t buy tubes of grey paint. It's so easy to mix your own.
Blue and yellow mixed together make green.
Thalo Blue is a very strong color. Use just a touch of it with your primary yellow to mix a beautiful green.
You may adjust your green;
Mix other blues and yellows for a variety of greens. For example, Ultramarine Blue and yellow make quieter greens.
* Tip - When you are mixing paint colors, always add the dark color to the lighter color. It only takes a tiny bit of a dark color to change a light color.
Warm colors are known to "advance" toward us. They make areas of an object look closer.
For example, if you are painting an orange, the center of the orange that is bulging toward us should be painted warmer to make it advance toward the viewer.
The sides of the orange would be painted cooler to make them turn away from us.
We mix warm colors with the primary color yellow or the secondary color orange because it contains yellow.
We can create distance in landscapes by mixing some blue into the background areas.
Make the edge of an object turn away from us by adding cool colors to the edge.
We may also use cool colors to set one object behind another.
When you want a cool color, mix paint colors with blue.
You may also mix a color with the
secondary colors green or purple because they contain blue.
Some top-notch painting artists use a limited palette of the primaries, plus white.
They mix their other colors from the limited palette.