mix the secondary colors
- Get your paint colors out and mix the secondary colors.
Two primary colors mixed together will give you a secondary color.
The secondary colors are orange, green and violet.
It's fun and you will be surprised at how easy it is.
Don't mix paint colors thoroughly before you put them on your painting.
The variety will add more interest to your paintings.
Mix the secondary colors
- Tip - Mix your paint colors with a palette knife to save paint.
what are shades, tones and tints?
- We make shades by adding black to any color. It becomes darker and duller than the original color.
- Tones are made by mixing grey with any color.
- We make tints by mixing white with a color.
However, adding white to a color will give it a chalky appearance.
- Tip - The artistic way to lighten a color is to add the lighter color next to it from the color wheel. For
example, add yellow to orange to lighten it or add orange to red, etc. The colors
will remain bright and lively without a chalky appearance.
how to mix black, brown or grey
- There two ways to mix your dark colors.
Mix together the three primaries: blue, yellow and red. Or we can two complimentary
what are complimentary colors?
Complimentary colors are any colors directly across from each other on the color wheel.
The compliment of any primary color is always a secondary color that is a combination of two primaries.
So when we mix a primary with its compliment, we are actually mixing the three primary colors together.
Example - Green is a combination of blue and yellow, so mixing red and green combines the 3 primaries.
Look across the color wheel to find the compliment of any color.
- Tip - Mix your dark colors from the colors you are currently
using in an individual painting. Then the dark colors will harmonize with
the rest of the painting.
easy dark mixtures
- Viridian Green and Alizarin Crimson make black.
Additional Viridian or Alizarin will slant the black toward green or red.
- Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue is a very useful mixture.
Add more Ultramarine to make a cool black. Use more Burnt Sienna for a warm brown.
Mix your dark colors
mixing grey colors
- Mixing white with any of your dark colors will give you a grey.
You can get a large variety of
greys depending on what colors made the dark. So, don’t buy tubes of grey paint because you can mix your own.
how to mix greens
Blue and yellow mixed together make green.
Thalo Blue is a very strong color.
Use just a touch of it with your primary yellow to mix a beautiful green.
You may adjust your green;
- Then add more yellow for a spring green.
- Add more blue to the green for a blue-green.
- The addition of red will produce a darker, more subdued
Mix other blues and yellows for a variety of greens. For example, Ultramarine Blue and yellow make quieter greens.
Mixing green colors
- Tip - When you are mixing paint colors always add the dark color to the lighter color. It only takes a tiny bit of a dark color to change a light color.
how to use color in your paintings
- Use warm colors in the foreground and middle ground of a painting.
Warm colors are known to "advance" toward us. They make areas of an object look closer.
example, if you are painting an orange, the center of the orange that
is bulging toward us should be painted warmer to make it advance toward
The sides of the orange would be painted
cooler to make them turn away from us.
mixing warm paint colors
- Any color containing yellow is considered a warm.
We mix warm colors with the primary color yellow or the secondary color orange because it contains yellow.
Warm colors contain yellow.
painting with cool colors
- Cool colors recede in the painting and look farther away.
We can create distance in landscapes by mixing some blue into the background areas.
Make the edge of an object turn away from us by adding cool colors to the edge.
We may also use cool colors to set one object behind another.
how to mix cool paint colors
- Colors containing blue are considered cool colors.
When you want a cool color, mix paint colors with blue.
You may also mix a color with the
secondary colors green or purple because they contain blue.
Cool colors contain blue.
why spend money on paint colors you can mix?
- Do it like the professionals. Mix your own paint colors.
Some top-notch painting artists use a limited palette of the 3 primary
colors plus white. They mix other colors from their limited palette.
- Learning to mix paint colors is one of the joys being of an artist.
- Practice mixing colors and make your painting sing with color.
may you have many successful paintings!
master the art of mixing colors with additional resources
Mix Paint Colors