artists who can mix colors
will save money at the paint store
can buy fewer colors of paint when you mix paint colors. Color mixing will be
second nature for you. Painting will become a fun adventure.
As an affiliate, I earn from Amazon sales with no extra cost to you. Learn More
what is a color?
is the joy and excitement of painting!
- The light that bounces off of an object is its color.
When light hits an object, some light rays bounce off. The remaining rays
are absorbed by the object.
So, a green object bounces green
light and absorbs all the other colors.
how many colors are there?
When light passes thru a prism it is divided into seven colors.
They are the seven colors of a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and purple.
how to mix paint colors
- Today we will use the color wheel when we mix paint colors.
The color wheel
is a favorite tool of artists. It shows how colors relate to each
other. We use it when we choose paint colors for our art palettes and
when we select colors for our paintings.
can we mix primary colors?
- No, primary colors cannot be mixed from other colors.
The primary colors, yellow, blue and red are equally spaced around the color wheel.
All the other colors are a combination of the primaries.
We can mix the other colors from the three primaries.
Then we can save money at the paint store because we know how to mix paint colors.
* Tip - Single pigment paint mixtures produce clean colors. Look the ingredients on your paint tubes.
How to choose paint colors for your palette
The Primaries; yellow, blue and red
mix the secondary colors
- Get your paint colors out and mix the secondary colors.
Two primary colors mixed together will give you a secondary color.
The secondary colors are orange, green and violet.
It's fun and you will be surprised how easy it is.
Don't mix paint colors thoroughly before you put them on your painting. The variety will add more interest to your paintings.
* Tip - You will save paint when you mix paint colors with a palette knife.
Mix the secondary colors
what are shades, tones and tints?
- Add black to any color to make its shade. It becomes darker and duller than the original color.
- Tones are made by mixing grey with a color.
- We make tints by mixing white with any color.
However, adding white to a color will give it a chalky appearance.
* Tip - Lighten a color by adding the lighter color next to it on the color wheel. The colors
will remain bright and lively without a chalky appearance. For
example, to lighten orange, add yellow.
how to mix black, brown or grey
There two ways to mix your dark colors.
- Mix equal parts of the three primary colors.
- Mix two complimentary
colors. Mix one part of a primary color with two parts of its compliment.
Mix the primary colors
* Tip - When you are starting a painting, mix a large pile of a
dark color from the colors you have selected for the painting. When you
are painting you may add white to your dark for various shades of grey.
You may also use the dark or greys to subdue colors in your painting.
will keep color harmony in your painting. Plus you won't have to keep
mixing your greys and darks again throughout the painting process.
what are complimentary colors?
- Complimentary colors are any colors directly across from each other on the color wheel.
The compliment of any primary color is always a secondary color that is a combination of two primaries.
So when we mix a primary with its compliment, we are actually mixing the three primary colors together.
Example - Green is a combination of blue and yellow, so mixing red and green combines the three primary colors.
* Tip - When you want darks, mix paint colors from the colors you are using in the painting. This way the dark colors will harmonize with
the rest of the painting.
Look across the color wheel to find the compliment of any color.
easy dark mixtures
- Viridian Green and Alizarin Crimson make black.
Additional Viridian or Alizarin will slant the black toward green or red.
- Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue is a very useful mixture.
Add more Ultramarine to make a cool black. Use more Burnt Sienna for a warm brown.
Mix your dark colors
mixing grey colors
- Mixing white with any of your dark colors will give you a grey.
You can get a large variety of
greys depending on what colors made the dark. So, don’t buy tubes of grey paint. It's so easy to mix your own.
how to mix greens
Blue and yellow mixed together make green.
Thalo Blue is a very strong color.
Use just a touch of it with your primary yellow to mix a beautiful green.
You may adjust your green;
- Then add more yellow for a spring green.
- Add more blue to your green for a blue-green.
- The addition of red will produce a darker, more subdued
Mix other blues and yellows for a variety of greens. For example, Ultramarine Blue and yellow make quieter greens.
Mixing green colors
* Tip - When you are mixing paint colors, always add the dark color to the lighter color. It only takes a tiny bit of a dark color to change a light color.
how to use color in your paintings
- Use warm colors in the foreground and middle ground of a painting.
Warm colors are known to "advance" toward us. They make areas of an object look closer.
example, if you are painting an orange, the center of the orange that
is bulging toward us should be painted warmer to make it advance toward
The sides of the orange would be painted
cooler to make them turn away from us.
mixing warm paint colors
- Any color containing yellow is considered warm.
We mix warm colors with the primary color yellow or the secondary color orange because it contains yellow.
Warm colors contain yellow.
- Cool colors recede in the painting and look farther away.
We can create distance in landscapes by mixing some blue into the background areas.
Make the edge of an object turn away from us by adding cool colors to the edge.
We may also use cool colors to set one object behind another.
how to mix cool paint colors
- Colors containing blue are considered cool colors.
When you want a cool color, mix paint colors with blue.
You may also mix a color with the
secondary colors green or purple because they contain blue.
Cool colors contain blue.
why spend money on paint colors you can mix?
- Do it like the professionals. Mix your own paint colors.
Some top-notch painting artists use a limited palette of the primaries, plus white.
They mix their other colors from the limited palette.
- Learning to mix paint colors is one of the joys being of an artist.
- Practice mixing colors and make your painting sing with color.
master mixing colors with additional resources
a great book from the
famous author betty edwards
color mixing for landscapes,
portraits and still lifes
may you have many successful paintings!